Teaching and Curriculum
Alternative Teaching Options
Thinking of changing your career to teaching? If you have a passion for education, we’re dedicated to helping you start a new career as a teacher. For individuals with a bachelor’s degree, we offer accelerated programs leading to teacher certification. Students may be working full-time with partner school districts depending on the program your in.
Degrees and Programs
- Master of Arts in Teaching and Learning: Elementary Education
- Master of Science in Health and Physical Education Teaching
- Metro Detroit TRUE Project (Master of Arts in Teaching: Secondary Education in Mathematics and Science)
- TeachDETROIT (Master of Arts in Teaching: Elementary Education)
- Warrior Teacher Program (Master of Arts in Teaching: Elementary and Secondary)
A degree in Art Education is for busy educators who have a passion for making and teaching art. Who want to enhance their skills, practice, advance their careers, and change their students' lives through the power of artistic expression. The program in the College of Education provides students with an intensive, hands-on, process-oriented instruction in a supportive atmosphere.
Our program is committed to preparing a new generation of educators and scholars by engaging them in critical inquiry of educational issues and needs germane to the large cities of the 21st century. You’ll gain knowledge and tools that facilitate conceptual understanding, defensible practices, and learning dispositions.
Educational Studies (Ph.D.)
Our program adopts an interdisciplinary approach to teaching and learning, acknowledging the relationship among the learner, the learning, and the learning environment and the consequences this approach has for educational theory, policy and practice. You’ll have the opportunity to conduct innovative research centered in and informed by theory and practice.
Elementary Education/Early Childhood Education
Elementary Education prepares teachers for education jobs with children in K-5 grades. Our program leads to a Michigan Elementary Standard Teaching Certificate for teaching all subject areas for both bachelor and graduate programs. Our program is designed to provide quality education to children in a classroom setting.
Degrees and Certificates
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)/Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
- Bachelor of Science in Health and Physical Education Teaching (B.S.)
- Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.)
- Master of Education in Teaching and Learning - Elementary Education (M.Ed.)
- Master of Science in Health and Physical Education Teaching (M.S.)
- Graduate Certificate (G.C.) - Elementary Mathematics Specialist: Introductory and Advanced
Literacy, Bilingual Education, ESL and World Languages
Our programs prepare you to work in schools, school districts or private organizations as classroom teachers, clinicians, consultants or program coordinators. Our Bilingual Education emphasis or the English as a Second Language emphasis, both may lead you to endorsements.
Degrees and Certificates
- Master of Education in Teaching and Learning (Online)
- Bridge Graduate Certificate (B.G.C.) - Bilingual Education (online)
- Bridge Graduate Certificate (B.G.C.) - English as a Second Language (online)
- Education Specialist Certificate (Ed.S.) - Bilingual Education
- Education Specialist Certificate (Ed.S.) - Reading
- Bilingual/Bicultural Education (online) - Post-Bachelor Endorsement
- English as a Second Language (online) - Post-Bachelor Endorsement
Secondary Education prepares teachers for education jobs with children in 6-12 grades. Our program leads to a Michigan Secondary Standard Teaching Certificate for teaching all subject areas for both bachelor and graduate programs. Our program is designed to provide quality education to children in a classroom setting.
Our program is designed to prepare you with the teaching knowledge and skills for special education to help transform the lives of individuals living with disabilities.
Teaching and Learning
Our program is designed for teachers and other professionals who wish to enhance their content and pedagogical knowledge, as well as research skills in teaching and learning. You’ll be engaged in the study of teaching and learning using current theoretical developments in order to develop curriculum illustrating best practices and research inquiries in areas of your interest.
Urban Education and Equity Studies (Undergraduate Minor)
Urban Education and Equity Studies for undergraduate students majoring in other disciplines. This minor provides an excellent opportunity for students interested in pursuing a career in education, social service and community organizations, in planning, policy, and program development roles, as well as graduate and professional studies centered in urban ecologies.