Research Associate - Center for Health & Community Impact
Office Hours: By appointment.
Degrees and Certifications
- Bachelor's Degree: Education, University of Northern Iowa, 1996
- Master's Degree: Kinesiology, University of Wyoming, 2000
- Ph.D.: Kinesiology, Indiana University, 2007
I received my PhD from Indiana University in 2007. I am currently an Associate Professor and division leader of the Pedagogy and Psychological Sciences program area of study in the Louisiana State University School of Kinesiology. My research investigates motivational and emotional determinants of physical activity, motor skill performance, learning, and psychological well-being. I have a strong interest in exploring substantive methodological issues associated with the application of motivational theory in natural settings. A secondary research focus explores the use of schools as a point of intervention for children’s health and well-being. I have been highly engaged in professional service with organizations such as the American Educational Research Association and currently serve on numerous editorial boards. I have also been very active in mentoring graduate students.
- The relationships between teachers’ burnout and students’ motivation.
Shen, B., McCaughtry, N., Martin, J., *Garn, A.C*, Kulik, N., & Fahlman, M. 2015 British Journal of Educational Psychology, 85,
- Social goals and basic psychological needs in high school physical education.
Garn, A.C., & Wallhead, T. 2015 Sport, Exercise, and Performance Psychology, 4,
- Perceived teammate acceptance and sport commitment in adolescent female volleyball players.
*Garn, A.C.* 2016 The Sport Psychologist, 30,
- Leveling the playing field? Perspectives and observations of coed intramural flag football modifications.
Wood, Z. C., & *Garn, A. C.* 2016 Sociology of Sport, 33,
- A moderated-mediation of children’s physical activity enjoyment.
*Garn, A.C.*, Centeio, E, Martin, J., Shen, B., & McCaughtry, N. 2016 Journal of Positive Psychology, 11,
- Student physical self-concept beliefs
*Garn, A.C.* 2016 (in press) In C. Ennis (Ed.). Handbook on Physical Education. New York, NY: Routledge.
- A reciprocal effects model of children’s body fat self-concept: Relations with physical self-concept and physical activity
*Garn, A.C.*, Morin, A.J.S., Martin, J., Centeio, E., Shen, B., Kulik, N., Somers, C., & McCaughtry, N. 2016 (in press) Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology