Alternative admission, reinstatement, and phoenix re-entry policy
Who should apply for alternative admissions, reinstatement, or phoenix re-entry?
Student who falls into any of the following categories may apply for alternative admission, reinstatement, or phoenix re-entry.
- Students enrolled in other Wayne State programs who currently have less than the minimum GPA for their program of interest in College of Education.
- Students enrolled in the College of Education who want to change their major within the College of Education and are below the GPA requirement for the new major.
Phoenix re-entry (second start)
- Students last enrolled in the College of Education who are below the GPA requirement for their program and have not attended in more than three years.
- Students previously enrolled in another College at Wayne State University wishing to join the College of Education, who have not attended Wayne State in three or more years and have a GPA which does not qualify for their intended College of Education program.
- Students excluded in the past may appeal for reinstatement to the College of Education after not attending Wayne State for more than one year.
- Students last enrolled in the College of Education who have the minimum GPA for their program but have not attended in more than five years.
Program GPA requirements
Programs requiring a 2.5 minimum GPA:
- Early and Elementary Education
- Health and Physical Education Teaching
- Secondary Education
- Special Education
Programs requiring a 2.0 minimum GPA:
- Community Health
- Exercise and Sport Science
- Sport Management
Note: Not all applicants will be admitted or reinstated. Applications for alternative admission, reinstatement, or phoenix re-entry are considered on an individual basis and reviewed by a committee based on academic criteria and merit with the final decision resting with the Assistant Dean of Academic Services.
- Ensure their Wayne State Access ID is activated, and that you have access to Academica. For help, visit tech.wayne.edu/helpdesk.
- Ensure that you have sent your official transcripts to Wayne State for any coursework completed at another institution during your time away from Wayne State University.
- Clear any/all financial holds through the Office of the University Bursar.
- Phoenix re-entry (Second start) candidates will need to review the terms.
- Fill out the Alternative Admission & Reinstatement Application.
For your application to be reviewed, please submit the following documentation:
- Personal Statement (must be type) addressing the following:
- What circumstances impacted your academic performance or progress?
- How have these past circumstances changed or been resolved?
- What will you do differently to ensure your future academic success and progress?
- Any other documentation you would like the committee to review to decide (i.e., documentation of completion of referral activities in Academic Success Center (ASC) and /or Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), Career Services, completion of web-based activities from the University Advising Center, medical reports, court documentation, etc.).
- Unofficial academic transcript(s) from all institutions/colleges attended.
- If pursuing a new major, an explanation highlighting the reasons you are pursuing that new major.
Appeal decision timeline
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, however if submitting an appeal within one month before the start of any given semester, there is no guarantee a decision will be made in time for registration for that semester.
If you have any questions about this process, please contact an advisor.