- Early & Elementary Post-Bachelor (P.B.)
- Health Physical Education Teaching Master of Science (M.S.) - Continuing Education
- Post-Bachelor's - Teaching and Curriculum
- Metro Detroit TRUE Project (Master of Arts in Teaching: Secondary Education in Mathematics and Science)
- TeachDETROIT (Master of Arts in Teaching: Elementary Education)
- Warrior Teacher Program (Master of Arts in Teaching: Elementary and Secondary)
Early & Elementary Post-Bachelor (P.B.)
We are excited to share our new elementary Post-Bachelor (PB) teacher certification program. Our Early & Elementary Education program will offer two certification bands: Pk-3 and/or 3-6 as well as the option to add endorsements.
Health Physical Education Teaching Master of Science (M.S.) - Continuing Education
Master of Science with a major in Health and Physical Education Teaching
The program emphasis is on obtaining teaching knowledge and skills in Health and Physical Education Teaching. The curriculum includes classes in; curriculum development for school health and physical education programs, implementing developmentally appropriate instruction for all learners, assessing health and physical education content knowledge and skill proficiency, using instructional technology effectively, and demonstrating the qualities of a professional Health and Physical Educator. Each concentration is comprised of tailored coursework and professional experiences according the student's prior background and professional aspirations to prepare them to meeting multiple levels of disciplinary standards including:
- The Michigan Interstate Teacher Assessment and Support Consortium (MI InTASC) Model Core Teaching Standards, adopted by the State Board of Education (SBE) in 2013, define the theoretical and practical knowledge, skills, and dispositions that all entry-level teachers should possess upon completion of an approved teacher preparation program.
- Michigan-specific content standards define the central concepts, tools of inquiry, and structures of the specific discipline(s) in which teacher candidates seek endorsements, as well as pedagogical applications of that disciplinary knowledge. "Standards for the preparation of Health and Physical Education Teachers in Michigan."
Post-Bachelor's - Teaching and Curriculum
This program offers teacher certification to holders of baccalaureate degrees with suitable teaching majors and minors, who choose not to pursue the master’s degree. The program integrates classroom theory and practice and is available at both the elementary and secondary levels.
Upon admission to the Post Bachelor Certification Program, students take the professional sequence classes in post‐bachelor (undergraduate) status. The Post Bachelor program may be completed as a full‐time or part‐time student. Credit in this program is undergraduate credit and can never be applied toward a graduate degree. This program does not offer a second bachelor’s degree.
Metro Detroit TRUE Project (Master of Arts in Teaching: Secondary Education in Mathematics and Science)
Specifically for recent graduates and mid-career professionals in STEM fields, the Metro Detroit TRUE Project is an accelerated graduate-level certification and residency program designed to bring highly qualified, diverse STEM teachers to Detroit Public School Community District (DPSCD) or Dearborn Public Schools (DPS).
TeachDETROIT (Master of Arts in Teaching: Elementary Education)
Become an expert educator for Detroit school children and their families.
- Earn your elementary teaching certificate in 12 months in our teacher residency program.
- Take university classes in Detroit schools so you can learn from masterful mentor teachers and by working with children in real classrooms—putting into practice the best that is known about teaching in urban settings.
- Study with outstanding course instructors who teach by your side in Detroit elementary schools.
- Learn alongside a cohort of teaching colleagues who are as excited as you are to become an effective urban educator.
- Work with Detroit families as partners in education.
- Explore opportunities for specializations in inclusive education, urban education, and mathematics education.
- Earn your education degree from one of the best urban universities in the country.
Warrior Teacher Program (Master of Arts in Teaching: Elementary and Secondary)
A 1-year alternative teacher certification program for educators who desire to teach full-time in select partner school districts in metro-Detroit. Candidates in the program will:
Work in a cohort to complete Michigan Department of Education approved teacher preparation courses; and
Receive coaching and support from highly qualified faculty and staff.