Admission process and program requirements
First, you'll need to be admitted to Wayne State University
- Apply to Wayne State University at wayne.edu/admissions.
- Select "Early and Elementary Education MAT" and "General Elementary Education" and apply for Spring/Summer term.
- The question regarding a concentration, select "Please do not add a concentration to my application."
- Provide official transcripts when you apply.
- Send an email to TeachDETROIT@wayne.edu with the permanent "Access ID" you will receive when you apply, and we can provide an application fee waiver for graduate applicants.
- Notify TeachDETROIT@wayne.edu when your application is complete so that we can follow your admission process.
- Once admitted, you'll need to fill out a survey for the College of Education and schedule your Cornerstone welcome event and group interview.
Financial aid and scholarships
Start by applying for scholarships in the College of Education (applications are open October through March 1 of each year).
Requirements once admitted to the University and College to work with children
- Complete a criminal background check required for working with children in the State of Michigan. Begin the process at WSU College of Education background check process.
- Provide results of a negative TB test administered by your primary care physician, the Campus Health Center, or a community clinic. These results must be within the three years previous to your working with children. Send the results to TeachDETROIT@wayne.edu.
To get your teaching certificate
- Show evidence of Adult and Child CPR and First Aid from a Michigan Department of Education-approved provider. For more information, visit Michigan.gov/mde/.
- Pass the relevant teacher licensure examinations. For more information, see Michigan Test for Teacher Certification.
If you are planning to teach in a high-needs school upon graduation, you may be eligible for a federal TEACH grant, visit Receive a TEACH Grant to pay for college.
TeachDETROIT also has scholarships for students who commit to teach in Detroit public schools upon graduation. Send an email to TeachDETROIT@wayne.edu for more information.